Thursday, November 15, 2007

What are you doing in Africa any ways?


Let me tell you about a day in Africa... how about yesterday. I got up at 4:45 and played in my office until 6AM. It is still dark here at that time. I took Arf Mpole my dog for a walk. He is in intense training. We are learning how to walk on a leash, sit and all that dog stuff. At 6:30 I checked the Love Mercy house and no one was up. Then I went back home and played with the dogs a bit. Looked at the plumbing that we had dug up and a few other day jobs with Julius the Gardener.I really like Julius and not just because he lets me use his bike but rather because God has a plan for his life.
At 8:00 AM Todd and I left for the Love Mercy house where I am doing my first contacting job here in Africa. I am operating as "Afro American Engineering" among other things. We are putting eaves trough on the Love Mercy house. It is going quite well and we hope to finish today. By 9:45 I left Todd to go Meet Danniel H. at the "Fire Place" as he calls his youth outreach/church ministry. There is going to be a big conference in Mid December and they need to get the place in shape. He has asked me to be his electrician and wire up the place as they renovate it. I agreed and am in the process of get a quote of cost for the materials together.
Since I was going to town I went home and changed and invited Esther and Lilian our "executive house keeper" to come with if they liked, and they did so off we headed.
Once in town I needed to get some cash so I agreed with the girls to meet at the restaurant in 15 minutes,and off I went to the bank. Then back to the restaurant where I ordered a "Thursday Lunch" only to be informed that it was not ready yet. So I left and sought out another place to eat. Here we where not so successful either,even though I asked if they had food and was it ready, once Lilian had her lunch(beef stew) I was informed that there was no mbuzi(goat) today. So we left yet again while all the time getting hungrier! next door we had success and lunch too!
When I finished eating I left the girls and went to the Hardware to buy what I had come to town for and too get prices on electrical stuff since this was my first wiring job I needed to source out the stuff and quote on it.I was rushing to get back to Todd so I called the girls and picked them up in front of Suam Supermarket.
I called Todd to tell him I was running late and he said he was back home.
Esther wanted to get some veggies from the market and I saw yet another bicycle shop.
I went to by bike parts and Lilian for veggies.
Since it was already late, and we had the Land Cruiser, I decided to visit Khetia's The only Mega store in Kitale.
I have not been in Khetia's before so of course it took some time to check it out. And then we remembered we needed to get a chicken. So it was after 3:00PM when we arrived home find Todd locked out. We unloaded the truck, checked on Julius, gave gave the dogs a treat, had a snack, took a shower and headed back to Ryan"s to return the Land Cruiser. Esther and I stopped at the Fire Place to take some measurements for the quote and off we went. We returned it and I found Boaz and gave him the keys. Ryan and the team had gone to Turkana to see the water project, and will be back in the morning. I wanted the Land Cruiser to be there if someone was to pick them up. Esther and I had a nice sunset walk home.She proceeded to make dinner and I put away stuff I had bought did some paperwork. Talked to Todd about tomorrow, and planned my day.
After eating dinner I began to crash I started to check my emails. That is when I realised I could not get on line again and decided to Go to a "Restore Point" in the computer in order to delete the program in my Internet browser. That is when I did something in the computer that I did not know what happened but I could not get back on line so at 8:00 PM I went to sleep. I got up at midnight and have been on the computer ever since! But I did fix the problem with the computer and have written this blog.
Good night
alan
Assistant Problem Solver

No comments: